Tuesday 19 June 2012

Manchester egg

I stopped off en route to a rugby league match in Greenfield last Saturday at a pub in Mossley.  I'd been there a couple of weeks ago and seen they were selling Manchester eggs so this time I decided to try one.

For the uninitiated, a Manchester egg is like a Scotch egg except that it's wrapped in black pudding. I like Scotch eggs and I like black pudding but I wasn't sure how well they'd work together. I was pleasantly surprised though and would recommend trying one if you see them on sale.

The chances of seeing them outside the Manchester area though are slim to nil. At the moment, they are only available in a handful of pubs, although their makers say that "wider routes to market are currently being considered along with larger scale manufacturing strategies." There is clearly an anti-Northern delicacy conspiracy afoot here that is stopping them taking their rightful place on the nation's supermarket shelves alongside their Caledonian cousins.



1 comment: