Monday 7 October 2013

Lancashire Dark Mild

I've got Ron Pattinson at Shut Up About Barclay Perkins to thank for alerting me to the fact that Marks and Spencer is now selling a bottle-conditioned mild.

Lancashire Dark Mild, a 3.7 % abv beer brewed by Thwaites Brewery in Blackburn, is I'd assume a slightly tweaked and rebadged version of their draught mild Nutty Black.

Although dark milds are traditionally associated with the Black Country and the West Midlands, the first two milds I ever drank were dark ones from Manchester brewers, Holt's and the long-gone and much missed Wilson's, and Robinson's Brewery in Stockport still brew a pale and a dark version of their mild.




2 comments:

  1. I remember mild still being popular on Merseyside and in the Warrington area (where I was a student) in the early 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mild was popular in Warrington well into the 90s and can still be found if you know where to look.

      Delete