Friday 27 July 2012

Making Manchester eggs

I was in a pub in Mossley the other week which sells Manchester eggs. They're like a Scotch egg but with black pudding.

You can only buy this snack in a couple of other pubs in Manchester so I decided I'd have a go at making some myself.  I tweaked the recipe in a couple of ways: I thought the pickled egg was a bit of a sharp taste so just used hard-boiled ones and I also used flour rather than egg wash for the breadcrumbs which I probably wouldn't do next time.  So anyway, here's a recipe that you won't find in Delia Smith, Nigella Lawson or any of those other fancy Southern cook books.

Manchester egg

Medium sausage

Slice of black pudding

Hard-boiled egg

Remove skin from sausage and black pudding and mix together in bowl with a fork. Make into a ball before flattening it into a circle about half an inch thick. Place hard-boiled egg in middle and wrap sausage and black pudding around it before coating with breadcrumbs.

Most people deep fry them but I just cooked them in the oven at 200°C for half an hour and they turned out fine. If you're lucky enough to live in the North West, I recommend buying the ingredients from Tittertons, Stockport's premier provider of pork products, but if not any butcher's shop that makes their own sausages and black pudding.



1 comment:

  1. The Gunmakers Scotch eggs have black pudding in them. Very nice they are, too.

    ReplyDelete