Thursday 15 September 2011

Lancs champs

The news that Lancashire are cricket's county champions for the first time since 1934 set me thinking about my trips to their home gound Old Trafford over the years.

My first trip was my grandad who grew up in Old Trafford and went with his mates as an engineering apprentice at the nearby Metropolitan Vickers factory in the 1930's.  It was the last day of the Fifth Ashes Test against Australia in 1981 and the thing that sticks in my memory is fast bowler Bob Willis pounding in from the boundary on an incredibly long run-up with the noise from the stands building with every step.

I've been to county matches and Tests at Old Trafford since then, including being lucky enough to get into the ground when twenty thousand were locked outside for the thrilling last day of the Third Ashes Test in 2005, but that first trip still ranks as the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment